Tuesday, December 16, 2008

My tree story lives on......

I can't believe I still have a story to tell, but I guess I do. We put the fake tree up last night after Randy got home from Jackson. It was late but I want a tree up before Christmas gets here!!! The tree came in 3 parts. Can you believe the lights wouldn't work??? I tried every kind of connection possible but nothing worked. The very very bottom part worked and that was it. Second of all this tree looked really weird. I can't believe this tree was too big for Christy's mother's house. The top of the tree is eye level with me. It's short and squatty. I called Christy and asked her if there was a piece missing because it looks funny and the lights won't work either. I hated to sound ungrateful and tried not too, but I was kind of sad about the whole thing. When you are used to having a 10 foot tree that fills up the corner and now I can see over the top of the tree.....well, it was kind of depressing. She said it was only 3 parts and for me to just string some lights on it. So that's what I did. I put lights on top of lights that don't work. The tree is full of wires and bulbs.

We haven't decorated our little tree yet. We are going to set it on top of a bench to give it more height and put a blanket or something around the bench to disquise it. I officially dedicated this year as our "Charlie Brown Christmas."

I bought Hannah a cute little 3 foot tree for her room for $8.00. I bought some bright shiny turqoise material to put on the bottom for her tree skirt. It's decorated with all her Nutcracker ornmanets and hot pink ornaments. I made a gold bow for the top and wrapped the gold ribbon around it also. It is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!! She is so happy!! It is sitting proudly in the corner in front of her fireplace. On the mantel above the tree is her framed picture of her as Clara with nutcracker dolls next to the picture.

That part of my day has been good.

Tonight we will get the fake tree on the bench and get it all decorated. I'm using Brooke's black and white paper that we used for the reception tables to wrap all my presents with. I bought some maroon and gold ribbon to tie on all the packages. I think it's going to be so pretty. We have 3 different designs of the black and white paper. My favorite is the polka dot paper. We will have a memory of her wedding also - and this will be Brooke and Chad's first Christmas. It will make it more special that I'm using the paper in her wedding.

Report on Aaron's arm. It's not broken. He has a pretty big brace on it. He has to go to physical therapy 3 times a week. Absolutely no baseball for 4 weeks. I think I will kind of miss washing his hair for him in the sink - it was our bonding moment!!!

Hopefully this is the end of my tree story. I can't imagine anything else going wrong. This has certainly been a memorable Christmas.

3 comments:

brookejones said...

I thought about using my wedding paper for my presents too but I had bought 6 rolls after Christmas last year for a quarter each so I decided to use that. I'll use my wedding paper for birthdays and wedding gifts.

I'd let you have my tree if I didn't want it for myself :)

Amber said...

We had a tree like that one year when I was growing up. It started as a 8 foot tree and it fell, so we chopped some off...and then a little more...and more...and ended up with a 2 foot tree that actually sat on the coffee table! :) It was the saddest little tree, but such a funny and fun memory that we all still laugh at 20+ years later! :)

Anders Family said...

I can definitely relate. The first Christmas Rusty and I were together, we bought this beautiful artificial tree. It was big and pretty and actually looked real. Well after 7 Christmases and 4 moves, the tree got damaged and lost a few parts. Being on a very tight budget this year, I bought the "Walgreens special." It looked so pretty in the sales ad. Not!! We have declared it our Charlie Brown tree also!!