Saturday, June 20, 2009

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY BABY - BETHANY!!!!

Exactly one year ago today on June 20th, 2003, at 6:05 p.m. our last child was born - Bethany Joy White. She weighed 8 lbs., 6 ozs. and was 20 3/4 inches long. Do you know that Brooke, Paige and Bethany were exactly the same weight and height? She was known as the "tie breaker." Up until her birth we were known as the Brady Bunch. We had 3 girls and 3 boys. A perfect little family. But now I'm known as Mrs. Snow White with my 7 dwarfs. We weren't planning on having any more after #6 (Benjamin) so she is truly a gift from God. Not that the rest aren't gifts from God because they are, but she wasn't in "our" plans. That sounds so horrible but I don't know how else to put it. But God knew that we needed her and I can't imagine what life would be like without her. She is the sunshine in our home.

It all started when I wasn't feeling well. I just layed on the couch feeling sick. Brooke took one look at me and said, "Mom, you are pregnant!!" I told her there was no possible way that I could be pregnant and no I was not - I just didn't feel good. She just kept smiling and said, "Nope, you are pregnant.". Paige came in later and said the same thing to me!! Well, they were right!!! I was so in shock. Like I said, we weren't planning on having any more so how did this happen? Well, don't answer that!!! I just knew Randy would be more shocked than I was so I was not looking forward to telling him. In fact, I think he was the last one to find out!!!! But like me, even though he was shocked he was happy. How can you not be happy with the news of a new baby?? It just took a while to get to that point.

Randy goes to Ecuador every year (except for this year) on a missions trip. Her due date was around the time that he would be gone to Ecuador. He struggled with what to do. He loves going to Ecuador but he didn't want to miss her birth either. I encouraged him to go to Ecuador. He would be back 3 days before her due date which was really pushing it but I was leaving all this in God's hands. He would make everything o.k. And like the rest of my children, she arrived very late and everything did work out just fine. Actually, you would think being the 7th child, labor would be fast and easy. But no.....she was the longest labor of them all. I think it was 26 hours. Along with Randy, both Brooke and Paige were in the labor room with me. Brooke was pretty much in the Doctor's way - ha!! She was right down there just a squalling. She kept saying, "This is such a miracle!!" as tears were streaming down her face. She even got to cut Bethany's cord. How sweet is that? My oldest child cut my youngest child's cord!! Bethany was also my most difficult baby. She had colic soooooo bad. She cried in pain from sunrise to sunset. I tried everything but nothing helped. But fortunately after 2 months of this, it was gone. She went from a screaming baby to a smily, happy baby and has been that way to this day. She just smiles, bounces, skips, giggles, and is just the sweetest little thing.

I feel like we have a second family. There is a big gap after Hannah - 6 years - and then there is Benjamin and Bethany. I had 2 miscarriages after Hannah. So I knew Benjamin and this baby would be very close. I wanted to pick a name that just flowed with Benjamin. So when you said his name, the other would just follow. I wanted a Bible name so I chose Bethany. Doesn't that sound good? Benjamin and Bethany. Even their middle names start with the same letter "J". Benjamin James and Bethany Joy. I call them my 2 B's. They were a couple. They acted like a "married" couple. They were so loving and absolutely adored each other. They were so cute together. After about 5 years of this adoring, loving, relationship, the honeymoon ended. Now they act more like an "old" married couple. They still love each other but they have their squabbles now. He is still very protective of her and she is very jealous when he pays attention to other little girls. I am having so much fun with these 2 it's like we are starting all over again.

Bethany is such a cuddle bug. She'll say "We need some loving today" and she'll climb up in my lap and I'll cradle her like a little baby and kiss her all over the place. I know she is too old for that, but who cares? They stay little for such a short time. The other day when I was holding her like a baby and giving her her "loving" I said, "What is going to happen when you get too big to climb up in my lap like this and get some loving?" She said, "I'll never be too big for that. I'll always be your baby." But, I know one day she will be all grown up and doing her own thing - so I will enjoy it while I can.

Bethany means "daughter of the Lord" and I can truly say she IS from the Lord. Joy means just what it says, "joy". She is so happy and with that blondie hair of hers, she is like a ray of sunshine. I absolutely just love her to death.

My prayer for you Bethany is that you will keep your joyful spirit and that you will bring sunshine to others so that they can see God in you. I can't thank God enough for giving you to me. He knew you were just what I needed!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

No comments: