Sunday, July 19, 2009

PEACH SCHNAPPS ANYONE??

Anyone ever heard of Peach Schnapps?!? That was my question for the day Friday, but I sure know about them now. I saw a recipe for a Peach Pound Cake that sounded so good. It sounded like a good summer time cake. We were having a Sunday School fellowship the next day so I thought that would be a perfect thing to bring. It said you needed to soak the peaches in 1/8 cup sugar and 1/4 peach schnapps. So I headed to the grocery store on a search for peach schnapps. I had no idea what that was but figured I could find it. I looked in the fruit section. No luck. Next to the cooking section. No luck. Maybe it's like an ice cream topping? Looked there. No luck. Juice Section? No luck. Hmmmmm. They must be out of it. So I go to another grocery store. Did the same search. No luck. OK - I have absolutely no idea what these peach schnapps are. So I decided to show my stupidity and just ask the cashier what in the world peach schnapps are. She said, "Honey, they aren't called schnapps (with a short vowel "a" sound) but it is called schnapps (with a short vowel "o" sound). So I said the word correctly this time and said, "OK - so what are peach schnapps"? She said, "Honey, you are in the wrong store. You can find that in the liquor store around the corner." Ha.....I couldn't help but laugh. I told her I had never been in a liquor store in my life. She assured me that this was only used for flavor and that the alchohol is burned out of it through the cooking process - like a rum cake. She said you couldn't get drunk off it unless you "maybe" drank a gallon of this stuff. Well, I decided I wasn't about to go in a liquor store so I would send Randy in the morning - ha!!! He wasn't too excited about going in there either but he said if I would call first and make sure they even had it, he may go for me. You know....have it ready and waiting for him so he could just run in and run out? So I called the place and pronounced the word right and everything!! I must say it felt so weird looking up a liquor store phone number in the phone book and calling it. Well, they did have the stuff so I asked how much it was. She said it was $9.00. I asked how big the jar was and she said it was 1/5. Well, I had no idea how big 1/5 was and I didn't want to act more stupid than I already was so just said thanks and hung up. It sounded pretty tiny to me and I didn't want to pay that much so I just made up my own concoction to soak those peaches in. The cake ended up being very good. But this cake sure did have a story behind it and we laughed so much over it. So if anyone ever wants to make this cake and wants to know what Peach Schnapps are, I can sure tell you where to get them!!

5 comments:

destinmimi said...

Hilarious!!!

The Curry's said...

Oh that cracks me up!

www.clairestrebeck.com said...

haha, so funny! :) http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDetail.aspx?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=froogle&ProductID=354
here's a link to a picture of Peach Schnapps. It's a pretty good size bottle, so it would be Plenty for your baking needs...although i'm sure I know a son-in-law or so who would probably help you finish off the remains ;o)

www.clairestrebeck.com said...

http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDetail.aspx?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=froogle&ProductID=354


sorry, you couldn't really get the link from the other post

Home of a Magnolia said...

Mrs. Snow White,

So glad you enjoyed the recipe. Found your link on The Dowdy's Doings. Amber is one of my very best friends. I love your story about the peach schnapps. I've tried the cake without, but the schnapps really makes it moist. We live in a small town and go to the liquor store in a neighboring county to avoid being "seen". I have posted a few more recipes, but they don't call for anything out of the ordinary.