Sunday, May 10, 2009

A TRIBUTE TO MY GRANDMOTHER ON MOTHER'S DAY

This is a tribute to my grandmother, Frances Lorene Page, who passed away last week on May 5th, 2009. She died at the age of 99. She would have been 100 on September 5, 2009. I wish all of you could have known her like I did because your life would have been touched and possibly changed because of her. If you want to know what she was like, just open your Bible to Proverbs 31 and that is my grandmother. She was all of this and more. She was an amazing woman.

I have such fond memories of going to her house as a child. She had the neatest back yard. We called it the "jungle". We would almost get lost out there and just play for hours. We would use our imaginations and get lost into our own little different world out there. She was so sweet and loving and loved her grandchildren. She was the best cook ever. She made everything from scratch and just had that special grandmother touch that went into all of her food which made it taste even better if that is even possible.

As a teenager, she was the one person I felt comfortable talking to about all my teenager problems. She was so full of good advice and was never condeming. She understood all my feelings and would always say, "I will pray for you, Jolyne." And you know what? I knew she really would. She would even write me letters. They were so precious to me. She would always end them with, "You know Granny is praying for you."

As a young married woman who was wanting LOTS of children, she was the one person I looked up too. She had 6 children of her own and I KNEW she was a good mother because the "proof is in the pudding." She raised 6 children who are hard working, full of good character, and wonderful Christian people who I wanted my children to be like. I was so interested in how she raised all those kids and I wanted to know her secret. I would sit and listen to everything she had to say. Her main advice to me was to get those babies on a schedule. You need to have a routine with them every day, she would say. She would go through her whole day and tell me what she did every day with those babies. So you know what? That's what I did!!! It must have worked because I had 7 of the best babies you can imagine. She had plenty more practice too because she took care of babies in her church's daycare for many, many years.

My grandmother was so prim and proper. She was so pretty and never had a hair out of place. She wore make up (even in her 90's), and she had the prettiest jewelry which she wore all the time. She always smelled so good too. She was so soft and squishy. Even when she wore sweats, she was all dolled up with her makeup and jewelry. Her house was always so clean and organized. It always made me a little nervous when I would bring my young children to her house because I was afraid they would break something. I loved all of her furniture and all of her knick-knacks. . It was old looking but so pretty and feminine just like her. I loved everything in her house but most of all, I loved her!!

The one thing about my Grandmother that stands out more than anything else is her love relationship with the Lord. I have never met anyone like this before and I probably never will. You know how when you first fall in love with somebody, you just want to talk about them ALL the time? That's how my Grandmother was about Jesus. It was part of her normal conversation. She wasn't trying to impress...or be somebody she wasn't. It just flowed out of her. It was like Jesus was right by her side and she would just talk and talk about Him. I remember being at her house many times when she would really get to talking, and family members would silently sneak off. It's not that they didn't enjoy listening to her but she could carry on for hours!!! No joke!! I remember it was my Mother who usually was the last one sitting with her. But that just tells you how much she loved Jesus. He was everything to her. She couldn't wait to meet Him face to face. And now she is. I know she is loving every minute of it up there. When I picture her up there in heaven right now, it brings a smile to my face. I can see her dancing and singing. I can see her just worshipping and praising Jesus because she did that here on earth. I miss her so much but I know she is in the place she has talked about all her life and with the ONE she has longed to be with. She is with her Lord and Saviour! - the love of her life.

No comments: